The role of the Director of Marketing and Communications at a private school is challenging enough, but without some foundational elements in place, being successful might prove elusive.
Here are 9 signs that you need to have a talk with leadership about marketing.
- Your head of school doesn't believe in marketing.
- Your budget is cripplingly small.
- You are constantly overworked.
- You are woefully understaffed, especially compared to admissions and development.
- You don't have a seat at the same table as admissions and development.
- You don't have enough time or staff to use social media effectively.
- You don't have buy-in from faculty.
- All of the school's MarCom isn't centralized in your office.
- You don't have a truly distinctive brand to work with.
What's your #10?
You'll want to read An Open Letter to Heads of School About MarCom next.
For more support in your private school marketing job, sign up for our newsletter. We make your job easier.
Master Electrician, InspirED School Marketers
Master Electrician isn’t just a fun title for me. It’s how I feel about sparking school marketers to do their best work, connecting them to one another, and helping to make their jobs easier. In 1991, I founded Turnaround Marketing Communications, a branding and marketing firm that serves independent schools exclusively. After working with close to 100 schools, I realized that school marketers needed a marketing and communications community to call their own — a place where they can find brilliant ideas and brain food to take their school marketing to the next level and feel supported in their jobs. InspirED School Marketers was born in 2014 to fill that void and with the help of my fabulous Best Boy, Rob, we are on a quest to make InspirED a resource you can't live without.
with Liza and Rob
Guests of Tim McDonough, Director of Client Success
Finalsite Apply Yourself Podcast
with Jeff Shields
President and CEO, the National Business Officers Association (NBOA)
with Earl Ball, Ed.D.
Co-Director, School Leadership Program
Graduate School of Education, University of Pennsylvania
with Jane Armstrong
Managing Partner, Independent Thinking
with Mike Connor
President, Connor Associates
With Cami Colarossi
Director of Communications, Notre Dame Preparatory School