Cami Colarossi has served as Director of Communications at Notre Dame Preparatory School in Towson, MD — a Catholic, independent school for girls grades 6-12 — for 17 years. In that time, she has gained respect for her office from colleagues and leadership, produced highly effective MarCom efforts, and won countless international awards for her work.
In this episode of the Sparkcast, you’ll hear how Cami did that by bringing her colleagues along and securing their much-needed collaboration, proving her department’s worth by demonstrating the intangible in a tangible way, and giving her colleagues a sense of pride that makes them want to be a part of her work in the future.
"I love sharing the results with my colleagues. I’ll take a screen shot and say, 'Look! 600 people liked what they saw. Thank you so much.' It makes them feel engaged and they’re helping to move the school forward."
“We’re like a mini-ad agency and treat our colleagues like our customers. We need to treat them with respect and give them the best product. Anyone who walks through our door is new business. We want to get that business, retain it, and grow it.”
“I needed to present the case to my head of school as to why social media was important. I regularly shared results with my head of school and just wore her down.”
“Marketing is transactional. Public relations is relational.”
What You’ll Learn
- How having leadership behind your efforts is critically important.
- How to not only get your colleagues to know what you do but also to be a part of it.
- What an accreditation in Public Relations from the Public Relations Society of America is and how it benefits your position.
- What the difference is between marketing vs. public relations vs. communications.
- Why Notre Dame chose a provider from the UK for their new website.
- Why you should measure expectations to get the best results.
- How Cami and her head of school plan to share their MarCom knowledge with other schools.
If you like this podcast, please rate us on iTunes so that others will find us.
For more brilliant ideas and brain food, sign up for our newsletter!
with Liza and Rob
Guests of Tim McDonough, Director of Client Success
Finalsite Apply Yourself Podcast
with Jeff Shields
President and CEO, the National Business Officers Association (NBOA)
with Earl Ball, Ed.D.
Co-Director, School Leadership Program
Graduate School of Education, University of Pennsylvania
with Brad Rogers
The Gow School
with Jane Armstrong
Managing Partner, Independent Thinking
with Mike Connor
President, Connor Associates
with Andrew T. Weller, Ed.D.
Director of Admissions, Avenues: The World School
With Cami Colarossi
Director of Communications, Notre Dame Preparatory School