Castilleja School seeks a Director of Communications and Marketing who is an exceptional communicator through multiple media and a strategic thinker who is enthusiastic about the school’s mission. With a significant role in crafting the ‘voice’ and ‘face’ of the school, the ideal candidate can successfully develop messaging and materials that capture the spirit and happenings of the school in authentic and compelling ways. As the leader of the school’s communication efforts, the Director of Communications and Marketing must set a strategy that keeps the Castilleja community and supporters informed about the school and continuously engaged and invested in its success. We seek a candidate who is a thoughtful leader, an excellent writer, a valuable team member, and constant learner. The Director of Communications and Marketing reports directly to the Chief Advancement Officer, manages two full time team members and manages relationships with multiple vendors on behalf of the school.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Along with the CAO, determine a strategy for marketing and communication on behalf of all school constituents
- Lead brand project in 2016-2017
- Integrate brand project outcomes with strategic direction for web redesign 2016-2017
- Serve as a strategic leader in developing awareness and momentum around key Castilleja initiatives
- Develop a comprehensive annual communications plan
- Manage and shepherd style/branding guide for use by entire school community
- Create a strategic and organized system to control communication flow from Castilleja and reinforce brand identity including the management of communications activities developed in programmatic areas of the school to maintain a consistent and coordinated effort for all departments
- Coordinate and help determine strategic objectives for all print and web materials, including admissions and other marketing materials, Full Circle Magazine, Annual Report, fundraising collateral and social media
- Support Leadership Team in processes related to 2016 Conditional Use Permit application, and 2016-2017 campaign
- Work with CUP committee to keep abreast of the current issues and support the development of communication materials for internal and external audiences
- Collaborate with the development team to produce inspiring and informative materials that successfully result in increased enthusiasm and support for fundraising initiatives including Annual Fund, View360, Reunion and others.
- Reinforce the national profile of Castilleja by developing and distributing news stories, articles and op-ed pieces that convey the exemplary work of the school, and supporting other members of the school community in doing so, as well.
- Along with other members of the communications team, shepherd and integrate the school brand in the website redesign process of 2016-2017
- Along with other members of the communications team, develop a plan for social media
- Manage external communications including neighborhood matters and crisis management
- Along with Chief of Staff, manage, develop and produce Head’s Office communications
- Develop and manage relationships on behalf of the school with local media outlets
- Act as secondary writer/editor
- Bachelor’s degree required, master’s degree preferred
- A minimum of 5-7 years of experience in communications and marketing, preferably in an independent school environment
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Commitment to excellence and best practices
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, social media platforms, InDesign, Finalsite
- Strong attention to detail and organizational skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to problem-solve and think creatively
- Proven initiative and flexibility with long and short term responsibilities
- Ability to connect with others using various forms of communication tools
- Passion for working in an independent school culture
- Passion for the school’s mission
- Ability to pass state and federal fingerprinting and background check and provide a recent negative TB test
- Bilingual in Spanish or Mandarin Chinese
- Facility with photography or videography
- Graphic design experience
The position is 12 months and exempt. It requires significant weekend and evening work from August-May as well as limited local and national travel.
If interested, please provide completed application, resume, and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org and indicate DIRECTOR OF COMMUNICATIONS AND MARKETING in the subject field. Compensation is commensurate with experience. No ecruiters please.